Match Reports: Round 10 vs Scoresby


The Jets made three changes this week with the return of Dyl Sverns, Bailey Stevens and Jake Sherriff. This was always going to be a key match with the teams third and fourth on the ladder.

The opening goal of the game came from Brent English after a tidy ground ball gather. Our injury run continued with David Sindrey limping from the ground with a hamstring just six minutes into the first term. Matt Decler was a stand out in the quarter with two goal-saving marks and winning plenty of contested ball. The heat was on early and the crowd enjoyed seeing Bailey Stevens and Luke Casini combining to lay a strong gang tackle. Ryan Burleigh drove a long forward entry to Fin Brown who marked in the goal square and made no mistake. The opposition was matching us goal for goal and it was our turn when Ben Abbruzzese took a strong mark running back with the flight in the goal square. The Jets transitioned with rebound attack to find Leigh Odermatt the only man in attack, and he ran clear and kicked accurately to register our fourth goal for the quarter. We held a one goal lead at quarter time. On the stats board there was very little between the teams, other than centre clearances where the Jets held sway six to one.

The second term became an arm wrestle with each team defending stoutly and goals hard to come by. Oders put the Jets 12 points clear with a goal on the run early in the quarter. Boof showed a touch of class managing to spoil a mark whilst running with the flight of the ball without looking at it. Our second goal for the quarter came from a great string of play, starting with Burls who drilled a great pass to Chris Columbo, who kicked to Alex Mcintosh, who set the ball up into the hot spot, from where Truck crumbed and kicked a nice goal. The Jets mids including Gary Conyers, Ryan Young and Brent English continued to win clearances, but with the opposition managing two goals in a row the margin was narrowed back to six points at the long break.

Periods of rain came in the third quarter as the Jets kicked to the scoreboard end. Boof continued his great tackling, winning the ball and passing to Fin, who nailed the set shot goal to open the lead back out. Scoresby had the vast majority of play in their forward half for the term but against the run of play the Jets pulled three goals clear via an Oders long bomb goal. The backs were under the pump. Another rare entry allowed Oders to crumb the ball and register his fourth for the game. Scoresby rebounded, but inaccurate kicking saw them waste several shots on goal that could have narrowed the margin further. Luke Casini's intensity in the term was terrific, and Dyl worked hard in defence, even pushing up to the half forward flank to effect a great smother late in the term. The Jets were beaten heavily in the stoppages, but won the quarter by a point to take a seven point margin into the last change.

The opposition kicked the first goal of the last quarter to narrow the margin to just a point. Brent Honey went down in a marking contest up on the wing with what later proved to be a fractured fibula and his day was over. Scoresby hit the front at the seven minute mark, then quickly extended the lead with another major. Our defenders were again under pressure, and across the ground Scoresby were clean whereas the Jets fumbled. Against the tide we transitioned play from defence to attack, and Lumbo converted to tighten the margin. Ben Abbruzzese played a big last quarter, covering the entire ground, taking marks in defence, rucking, and pushing forward. Luke Casini made it three injuries to the Jets for the game, hobbling off with the assistance of trainers. Scoresby kicked the next two goals, and after the arm wrestle of the first three quarters, Scoresby's five goal to one final term gave them an 18 point victory.

Heathmont 10.4-64

Scoresby 12.10-82

Goal Kickers: L. Odermatt 4, F. Brown 2, B. Abbruzzese, C. Colombo, B. English , J. Merrett

Best Players: M. Decler, L. Casini, B. English , R. Young, L. Odermatt, B. Stevens


It was a hotly anticipated match between these two teams with only percentage separating them. There were a couple of changes to the side as we saw Dylan Robson-Long back after quite a while and Knowlesie back from his stint in the Seniors.

The opening quarter saw both backlines under pressure, with the ball rebounding from end to end without scoring. The Jets managed to break the deadlock with a great switch of the play, which saw the boys take the ball to the forward line and into the hands of Jordan Gasparini who scored the first goal of the match. Scoresby’s reply came not long after as the crowd again watched the strong defensive play put on by both sides in a fast paced quarter. A loose ball saw Scoresby take advantage and kick another goal. The Squad appeared to be missing their targets and the pressure was building on both sides with the number of turnovers. A goal to Josh Kral just prior to the siren put us two points down at the first break.

Scoresby came out pumped for the second quarter and kicked the first goal to extend their lead and for the early part it seemed that they had the upper hand. The boys were trying with Dougie playing well and Knowlesie seemingly in everything, tackling hard and showing the way. Ders and Lachie S were also trying everything to get the boys up. When Ders and Tyson Walshe combined in a great piece of play which saw Tyson finish off with a great running goal – the gap was closing. The opposition managed a reply late in the quarter and it was just a nine point ball game at the main break.

Both sides were peppering the goals in the third with neither making enroads on the scoreboard. A great rebound mark by Dougie from one of these points saw him kick truly to edge closer yet again. The bigger bodied Scoresby were appearing to get the upper hand against the boys, and another goal by the opposition saw them take in an eight point lead at the last break. It had been an arm wrestle all game. A big last quarter was needed to break the deadlock.

Once again the ball was rebounding from backline to backline as it had been all day with neither team really being able to take advantage in a tightly contested match. A great passage of play from the backline saw Beasley running up the field with the kick accepted by a sliding Taylor, quickly on his feet he found Gasparini who kicked the first goal of the quarter and the difference was just two points. Scoresby matched the goal and it was out to eight points again. The Jets were trying everything to counter and Ders kicked the quick reply to get the team within two points again halfway through the quarter. It was game on! But a slip in defence found Scoresby manufacture a goal to extend their lead – there was no counter attack this time, and the opposition kicked another unanswered goal to take the biggest lead of the day at the most crucial time.

Scoresby consolidated their position on the ladder while the Squad rues some missed chances. They will need to regroup for next week where they take on second positioned Ferntree Gully.

Heathmont 6.5-41

Scoresby 8.8-56

Goal Kickers: J. Gasparini 2, T. Walshe, L. Douglas, J. Hendriks, J. Kral

Best Players: J. Ballard, L. Douglas, J. Hendriks, M. Beasley, C. Van Der Wal, D. Knowles

Under 19’s

After a disappointing performance against Donvale last game (even though we won), the boys were determined to play four quarters of footy against Scoresby. We got off to a great start kicking five goals to zero in the first quarter to go in to the break with a 33 point lead. Taylor Wallace kicked two goals for the quarter in a dominant display by the midfield.

Second quarters have been our worst all season and we were determined to turn that around this week. A four goal to one quarter was a good way to stop the rot. Nick Harrison was providing a target at full forward kicking a goal and was well supported by JJ Dove kicking his second and Jack McNeil and Khaige Stenson chiming in for goals. Our backline was dominating and it should have been a much better quarter except for turnovers in our forward 50. We went into halftime with a 53 point lead.

The third quarter was more of the same with Heathmont dominating all over the ground. Joel Gosbell moved into the midfield and kicked his first goal of the season and Trey Braione kicked two for the quarter leading from the front in a best on ground performance. Harry Isaacs was again dominant across half back and Jack Herring and Liam Di Biase were running amok on the wings. We kicked seven goals for the quarter to go into three quarter time with an 89 point lead.

We just needed to finish off the game to cap off our best four quarter performance of the season. Scoresby kicked the first goal of the quarter but we kicked the next five with another two goals to Braione followed by Palmer, Isaacs and Wynne to cap off a commanding 113 point win.

This was clearly our best team effort for the year and it was pleasing to win by so much with 12 goal kickers sharing the load. We play Ferntree Gully this week who are sitting on the bottom and we will be showing no mercy.

Heathmont 21.14-146

Scoresby 4.3-27

Goal Kickers: Braione 3, McNeil 2, Di Biase 2, Wallace 2, Harrison 2, Dove 2, Browne 2, Norris, Stenson, Gosbell, Browne, Isaccs, Palmer, Wynne

Best Players: Braione, Isaacs, Di Biase, Herring, Harrison, Palmer

#RoundTen #MatchReports #Scoresby #Hangar

Featured Posts
Recent Posts