Match Reports: Round 11 vs Ferntree Gully


The Jets had three changes for the Round 11 clash with Ferntree Gully, with Derrs, Cookie and Dougie all back in the Seniors.

Fin snagged the Jets’ first goal of the game for about the sixth or seventh time this year, after a great link up between Burls and Boof. FTG then went backwards to go forwards with a sequences of hands out the back of the pack to set up their first goal. Lumbo’s dynamic smother, gather, and around the body snap put our second major on the board. Impressive intercept marking by Ben, Oders, Fin, Brent and Sherriff prevented numerous forward entries by the opposition as much of the play was between the arcs. The quarter went goal for goal, but FTG took the lead after the Jets had all the attack for 10 minutes but couldn’t take the opportunities. The opposition was using space better late in the term, and we trailed by 11 points at the first change. The stats board showed that we were beaten in the Inside 50 count, and marks inside 50, but most other indicators were even.

Light rain started in the second quarter and persisted on and off for most of the rest of the game. FTG’s lead was extended with snap from a tight angle early in the second quarter. In response, Fin glided through traffic and kicked truly on the run. Oders passed to Gaz who made something out of nothing and passed the ball to Brent for his first of the day. Both teams were inaccurate in the wet, with more congestion stripping players of time and space. The home team won the quarter by a point to have a two goal margin at half time.

Goals continued to be hard to come by in the third term, but Gaz broke a tackle and drove the ball inside 50 where Fin tapped the ball out the back of the pack to a roving Oders who gathered and converted. Sherriff and Deckers worked hard in defence and rebounded continuously as both teams hacked the ball forward in any way possible. Ben was clean at ground level and moved the ball on to Brent who made the most of a tough opportunity. Robbie read the play well and marked several oppo kick-ins through the day, but had a breather on the bench courtesy of a yellow card. The opposition kicked one goal five behinds for the term, with Dyl’s desperate smother on the goal line contributing to the behinds tally. The Jets were ahead on tackles and handball receives for the quarter, which we narrowly won on the scoreboard, and we trailed by nine points at the last change. Coach Joel Cordwell urged the Jets to provide repeated pressure at the contest to close out the game.

The quarter started well with Fin holding on to a tough mark diving forward, and then converting from 30 metres out. Brent put us in front at the ten minute mark to the delight of the strong contingent of Jets supporters. Ben pumped the ball forward and Youngy crumbed a classy goal. The sky darkened as the game wore on as the Jets showed great composure and determination right across ground to register a 14 point win after trailing most of the day.

Ferntree Gully 7.14-56

Heathmont 9.16-70

Goal Kickers: F. Brown 3, B. English 3, L. Odermatt, C. Colombo, R. Young

Best Players: B. English , B. Abbruzzese, F. Brown, L. Odermatt, C. Colombo, R. Young


With some forced changes due to injuries in the Seniors, there was a new look DSquad selected for the all important match against equal top of the ladder contender Ferntree Gully. We welcomed Scott Isaacs into the team for his first match with the Jets. It was great to see Cam Evans in the side after coming back from a long stint behind the fence due to injury, also Jon Knudsen. We also had three of the U19’s, Trey Braione, Declan Brown and Harry Isaacs, who was also in for his first senior game for the Jets, helping out.

It was a tough first quarter with the Jets seemingly having all the play in the early part of the quarter, youngster Harry Isaacs running down from the backline collected the ball and kicked to his brother Scott who registered the first score for the match - unfortunately a point. There was some high marking happening around the ground with a nice high grab in the backline by Parks who kicked it forward. Eventually the first goal was scored by the opposition from a turnover, but neither team could seem to break clear or score. It was two points to 1.2-8 at the first break.

The second opened just as fast as the first with Wade kicking to Parks who marked and a quick snap to Jono, unfortunately another point. Parks then intercepted the rebound and brought the ball to ground where Connor picked up and kicked to Tay who at last scored our first goal for the match. The tap out found its way to the forward line where Parks was in amongst it again winning the ball and kicking to Jono who goals and the Jets hit the front at the ten minute mark of the quarter. The contest was then in Ferntree Gully’s forward line with the backline defending strongly but eventually they managed to score and even things up again. Neither side giving an inch. Cam is playing well in his comeback game and winning the hitouts, Jono and Knowles are showing how it is done with some solid tackling of the opposition and the U19’s are all playing a part. The ball finds its way to our forward line again and in a scramble of players Declan manages to boot it through for another goal, to take the lead again. Ferntree Gully win the next centre tap and it quickly goes down their end for another goal that levels the scores. Parks was in it again when given a free kick which ends up being paid down field and then another free given to first gamer Harry Isaacs who kicks his first goal in senior footy and is instantly mobbed by his teammates….not bad for someone who plays down back! The siren sounded on another even quarter with the lead constantly changing but at the main break the boys are in front by six points.

It was more of the same tight and contested football after the break. We aim for the scoreboard early but it’s just points, the opposition manage to kick the first goal to take the lead back again. From the centre tap the ball is carried into our forward line where Lachie Sverns manages to retrieve the ball from amongst the pack and kick truly and we are up by eight points at the six minute mark – still a long way to go. As the ball goes in to defence Harry takes a good mark and kicks long to our forward line where Lachie marks again and kicks another goal, two in quick succession and we edge ahead. The rest of the quarter is possession football as the crowd watch it go from backline to backline without scoring. At the last break the DSquad has a lead of just 13 points, the most all day.

The boys upped the ante in the last and again had all the play in the early part of the quarter but couldn't score that elusive goal. The Jets managed to keep rebounding it back to their forward line without goal success until Declan marks from a kick out and his kick forward finds Harry who scores his second for the game. A great tap from the centre finds Knowles to Parks to the square but only a point. A ball up sees Declan crumb from a Lachie tap and another goal to extend their lead. The Jets have all the play, the opposition finally break through with a goal at 13 minute mark, and we have kicked 2.5, to their one goal and have a 23 point lead at the 13 minute mark of the last. The rest of the quarter is again backline to backline with all the team playing strong defensive football around the opposition’s goal line and trying to prevent them from scoring. Ferntree Gully do manage to get one more just before the siren sounds but it’s the Jets who take home the points with a 17 point win.

The coach was proud of the boys and how they worked for each other across the ground from the forward line, to mid field to backline. A credit to the team to keep going when down to just one on the bench after half time. He made special mention of the three Under 19’s and how they made an impact in the game. Well done to all the team.

Ferntree Gully 6.6-42

Heathmont 8.11-59

Goal Kickers: D. Browne 2, L. Sverns 2, H. Isaacs 2, J. Knudsen, T. Van Der Wal

Best Players: J. Knudsen, C. Evans, N. Parker, D. Browne, H. Isaacs, D. Knowles

UNDER 19’s

After a comprehensive win against Scoresby last week we were confident that we would be able to put Ferntree Gully to the sword as they are the bottom team. The term “getting ahead of ourselves” is most appropriate!

We hit the scoreboard early after a great bit of unselfish play from Declan Browne to Nick Harrison for the first goal but after that we lost the plot. Even though we kicked four goals for the quarter and went into quarter time with a 23 point lead, our quality of footy was terrible. We were getting smashed in the clearances and turnovers were killing us, we were fumbling and falling over, it was a miracle we were in front!

The second quarter was even worse with us kicking only one goal for the quarter but we managed to keep FTG scoreless which was the only shining light. As you can imagine, it wasn’t a great spectacle! At halftime we had a 31 point lead.

The coach basically turned the board upside down at halftime and put the forwards down back and the backs down forward. Declan Browne went into the midfield with Mikey Palmer and Joel Gosbell, and Taylor Wallace, who was playing forward because he was sick, joined them. We started to get back on top but inaccuracy was starting to hurt us and we kicked 2.4 to 2.1 for the quarter to have a lead of 34 points at three quarter time.

FTG were still in the game after kicking the first two goals of the last quarter before we finally switched into gear. We started winning the clearances pumping the ball into our forward 50 which makes a huge difference. We were able to capitalise on this through Harry Isaacs kicking four goals for the quarter with Trent Wynne and Trey Braione kicking two each to cap off an eight goal to three quarter and running out winners by 68 points.

It’s hard to be disappointed with a 68 point win but if we are to play a part at the pointy end of the season we need to play much better than what we showed on the weekend. Anyway bring on South Belgrave this week!

Ferntree Gully 5.2-32

Heathmont 15.10-100

Goal Kickers: H Isaacs 5, T Wynne 3, T Braione 2, N Harrison, C Osborne, T Schubert, T Wallace, J Dove

Best Players: D Browne, T Wallace, H Isaacs, N Amos, T Wynne, J McNeil

#RoundEleven #FerntreeGully #ThreeWins #MatchReports

Featured Posts
Recent Posts